Thursday, June 26, 2014

Purple riveted bracelet

During the Make 'n Take event at the Art Glass and Bead Show in Madison this past March, I asked participants for ideas for next year.  Stitching can be a bit difficult for some people, so I'm always looking for alternatives.  Two people in two separate groups suggested riveting, and there were murmurs of approval and nods around the table.

At the show the next day, Steve bought me supplies to make my own riveted bracelet to see if I liked it enough to do it for the Make 'n Take.  When we realized I didn't have an appropriate punch, he bought me one of those at the Bead&Button Show.  Both the tool and all the riveting supplies came from Funky Hannah's.

Steve and I sat down tonight to make the bracelet.  Since Amanda from Funky Hannah's had told Steve how everything worked, he took the lead and placed the first rivet for the end piece that the clasp attaches to.

First he punched a hole:


Then he put the first part of the rivet in the bottom of the leather with the post sticking up:


He placed the component on top and snapped the other half of the rivet on:


Even though it snaps on, it's not secure until you tap on it with a hammer.  Here it is all finished:


Looks great!

Then it was my turn.  I put the clasp on using a snap clasp and split rings so I didn't have to worry about it falling off.  Yes, I used the Xuron split ring pliers!  We figured out how long the bracelet should be and trimmed the leather.  I had a really hard time punching the hole for the next rivet.  The tool is enormous, and I'm not very strong.  I was able to get the hole partially punched, but it took a few tries for me to get it all the way punched.  Steve ended up doing most of the rest of the punching.

Here I am about to tap the rivet in place for the other end component:


That's a special tool that goes on top of the rivet, and you tap on the other end with the hammer.

After the end pieces and clasp were in, we planned where the rest of the components would go:


I'm glad he bought me components with Celtic knots.  I've always loved them, but since I strongly identify with being German and may not have a drop of Irish blood in me, I always shied away from overtly Celtic things.  :)

We put the rest of the rivets in and glued flat-back crystals in place:


Those are my new Xuron bent nose tweezers.  Check back here tomorrow for my review!

Here's the final bracelet:



I think it turned out well!  Once we were comfortable with the process, the bracelet went quickly.  I think the whole thing took less than an hour, including planning, digging for a silver snap clasp, and swearing about my camera not focusing on the thing that's obviously in the middle of the frame.  (I really made a poor choice with this camera.)  I don't think I'm going to replace my stitching with riveting, but I already have a few ideas for incorporating the two.

Even before making the bracelet, I pretty much decided to not do this project for the Make 'n Take.  I'd have to buy a bunch of tools and supplies, and it wouldn't be cost effective for me to do it.  Also, none of my designs revolve around riveting, so it wouldn't bring people to my table during the show.  I've talked to someone else who might do it, though.  I now need to come up with something else, but I have plenty of time.

Have you done anything with riveting?  What do you think about it?  Send me a few pictures and a description of your project (riveting or anything) by 6/30/2014, and you'll be entered in my Xuron 4 in 1 Crimper tool giveaway.

Tune in tomorrow for the Xuron tweezers review and on Saturday for a guest post by Jill!

1 comment:

  1. We are part Irish, silly. Ask your Aunt Nancy how much.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete