Monday, February 17, 2014

Post Gardens and Gears wrap-up

What a day I had yesterday!  Unless you've never read this blog before, you know I was frantically making new items to sell at the Gardens and Gears Steampunk Faire at the Mitchell Park Domes, which was yesterday.  It was so much fun!  They had record attendance for a Sunday, and the place was positively hopping and buzzing with activity.

Many people dressed in Victorian/Steampunk costumes, including women in corsets and men in dapper suits and top hats.  A number of folks wore mechanical things in their costumes, too.  It's hard to explain.  One man had a hat he had made out of steel!  You can get an idea of what the costumes were like by checking out this Google image search or the Facebook album that the Domes posted.  I'm not in any of the pictures, but my Mom and John are - sort of.  The fourth picture is of two boys who dressed for the occasion (the older one is Boba Fett from Star Wars), and behind them are Mom and John!  Mom is wearing red and is talking to John, who's wearing gray.  How exciting is that?  Oh - in picture #12 is the man in the steel hat.  All day I wondered how heavy that was.

I learned yesterday that there is a Milwaukee Steampunk Society!  Some of the vendors belong, and a number of the people who came dressed in costume are also members.  Who knew there was such a fun group here?  They also have a Facebook page if you're interested in checking them out further.

Not only were the Domes hopping, but so was my table!  My friend Michelle came to sit with me for most of the day, and I'm glad she did because I couldn't always talk to everyone.  She chatted with people as I completed transactions.  My friend Sue was a vendor, too, and she also was very busy.  Michelle helped her out a few times as well.

Frequent readers of my blog may be wondering if some of the projects I made in the last month sold.  Yes, some of them did:  the quick "magnifying" glass earrings, many stamped dominoes with keys (I made a lot more than what's seen in this post), a number of vintage dominoes in different styles like the dragons I showed you not long ago, the romantic watch parts necklace, and the Wibbly Wobbly Time-y Wimey pocket watch.  I also sold some unstitched keys and other items.  Mom stole one of my new dragon dominoes.  I made her wear it around the Domes for advertising.

Unfortunately, none of my polymer clay hearts (posted here, here, and here) sold, although many people were admiring them.  Also, none of my stitched "tubed keys" (like my rainbow and eye keys) or resistor pieces (posted here, here, here, and here) sold, which was surprising based on how much attention they got.  If you're interested in any of those, e-mail me at traci@creative-pursuits.biz.  I can hook you up.  :)

One pair of earrings that that didn't sell were watch part hoop earrings I haven't shown you yet.  I'm glad I held back, because I'm too tired today to make something new!  Tonight I will be making a few pairs of brick stitch earrings for the Loose Bead Society hands-on project I've talked about (you can catch up on that and see the basic idea of what I'm doing here), but this afternoon I need to rest.  I had problems sleeping last night - the buzz in my head took forever to quiet down - so I'm going to take a nap and get back to work tonight.

So here are the earrings:


These "hoops" are circuit boards that came out of two of my mother's disassembled watches.  The holes were already in them, so all I needed to do was dangle them from earring wires.  I think they're super cute!

That's it for me today.  Here's what my husband posted on Facebook this morning:
I want the world to know how proud I am of my wife, Traci Southern Otte! But I don't know the world, so I'll settle for telling her Facebook friends. She puts everything she has into making her business a success. And once in a while, like yesterday's Gardens & Gears show at the Mitchell Park Domes, it pays off! Now if only she could take a rest once in a while.
That was so sweet of him!  He's always so supportive of me, and I appreciate all he does to help me in my business.  Thanks, honey!

I've looked at my calendar.  I can't really take a rest until March 27th.  There's far too much to do until then, but for now my newly-purchased heated mattress pad is all warmed up, waiting for me to dive in for a well-deserved nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment