Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Official brick stitch earring samples

This is going back to the hands-on program I'm running for the Loose Bead Society at our March program.  I've talked about it here, here, and here if you've missed it.

The beads for the kits have come in, and I made two samples for pictures - purple (because it's me) and green (because St. Patrick's Day is coming up):



While they're pretty, I wish there was more of a contrast in the middle section between the 8/0s and the Rizos.  When we picked out the colors, we scrutinized and scrutinized and discussed matte vs. translucent and dark vs. light, and we thought we came up with good choices.  I know I've discussed this here before about how difficult it is to choose colors in general and online.  You think things are going to look one way, then you start stitching with them, and it looks different than what you had planned.

Here are piles of the greens that are in the middle section:


The Rizos are a lot lighter "on paper" (literally in this case), but when stitched they blend into the much darker 8/0s.  Don't get me wrong, the end result is very pretty, but it's not the contrast I wanted.

The pictures don't really do the earrings justice - there is a lot of texture and movement, and I hope folks will be happy with them.

Up next - I write the instructions, the kits are made, we have table captain training, and then the program!  Lots to do!

Before I go, I'd like to show you what Steve brought home last night:


These are the Bead&Button Show 2014 "Purple Lupine Ottoman" commemorative beads made by Amy Waldman-Smith!  Since he works in the building, he was able to purchase them and bring them home.  He's so sweet!  I told him I wanted one, but he brought two home.  I think I'm going to make a necklace and a bracelet.  I absolutely love these - not just because they're purple (but that is a contributing factor, of course), but because of the clean lines and raised dots.  I can't wait to work with them!

If you'd like to order your own, click here, but don't delay, because these will sell out fast!



No comments:

Post a Comment