Tuesday, February 11, 2014

"Wibbly wobbly time-y wimey" pocket watch

People assume that time is a strict progression
of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear,
non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of 
wibbly wobbly... 
time-y wimey... 
stuff. 
 The Doctor in "Blink"

I've posted this quote before, when I ranted about time (or the lack thereof) two and a half years ago.

A little over a year after that post I purchased an empty pocket watch on clearance.  I didn't know what I wanted to do with it, but I knew I wanted to do something.  At some point after that, I acquired a bunch of old, broken watches my mother had lying around.  I painstakingly pried apart everything I could and stored it in a little container.
When I decided to do the Gardens and Gears Steampunk show at the Domes (which is this Sunday - mark your calendars!), I determined that now would be a perfect time to use the pocket watch with the watch parts I had pried apart.

It was the perfect plan but with imperfect organization, as I could not find the parts!  Yeah, yeah, I know... my studio has been organized and reorganized so many times (the last post about it is here, and from there are links to the other posts), so how could I have lost something?  It was a small container, and it could have been "filed" in any number of places.  As soon as I made up my mind to use other pieces I found my watch parts in my "stuff to use in polymer clay" basket drawer.  Tomorrow I'll show you what I did with some of the pieces.

But today is for the pocket watch.  Remember that mixed media section of Michaels I mentioned when I showed you the brightly colored gear and key earrings and necklace and the "magnifying glass" earrings?  They also had clock faces and spinners, so I decided to use a few of those along with one of the gears I enameled yesterday:


As you can see, the pocket watch opens up, and this is the approximate placing of the components.

I put some UV resin (Lisa Pavelka Magic-Glos) in the bottom of the glass (in the regular part of the watch, not the part that opens up) and pressed the gear in.  I put that under the UV light to cure, then I added some more resin and the spinners:


Now you know my secret - I didn't enamel the back side of the gear.  :)

I let that cure for a while, then added more resin and the clock face.  I brushed some resin over the top of the clock face in the hopes that it would stay put.  I couldn't cover it all the way with resin because I needed the space for the winding crown, which is still useable to open the cover of the watch.

After that cured, Steve filed the inside rim so the back would fit better, and he glued the winding crown in.

Here is the final watch opened up:


And here it is closed and on a chain:


Steve dubbed it the "Wibbly wobbly time-y wimey" pocket watch.  Too bad the back of the watch isn't plain, or I'd have that Doctor Who quote engraved on it.







No comments:

Post a Comment