Saturday, April 12, 2014

A little more on the possible something

Today I worked more on the project I started yesterday.  I didn't get too far because I found myself procrastinating a lot.  I think it can be a bangle, and I knew that it would take an awful lot of stitching to find out if it can actually be a bangle.  So by all means let's make the process longer by doing as little as possible in a sitting.  ::rolls eyes::

It wasn't all procrastinating, though.  When I'm designing I like to "handle" the piece periodically to see how it's going and if anything else comes to me.  That's how I ended up with the Captive Crystal earrings and the reversible idea.

I handled this piece after I stitched the fourth triangle and found one interesting thing and one potentially problematic thing.

Let's do the interesting thing first:


It looks like if I were to attach a fifth triangle to the first one, I'd have a star that could be used as a pendant.  There's a big enough hole at the tips of each point for a cord to slip through.  I don't know if anyone would want this as pendant - it's just over 1.5" in diameter - but it's another variation.  I like variations.

I stitched the fifth triangle, not joining it to the first (because I want to see if a bangle would work), and laid it down again:


Yeah - that should work just fine!  Stretching it out a little, it looks like I could attach a sixth triangle to the first to make a star that looks like the Star of David:


An enterprising person could stitch this in blue with white in the centers of the triangles, and it'd look pretty close to the Star of David, I think.


Now for the potentially problematic thing:

In order for this to be a bangle, there will need to be many more triangles than five or six.  I took a bangle that fits me and measured the inside diameter:


This is Cynthia Rutledge's Honeycomb Bangle that was in Bead&Button in April, 2011.  It's a perfect fit over my hand at just under 8.5".

When I had four triangles stitched, I put them on top of this bangle to see how it looks and to estimate how many more I would have to do:


Wow - I have a very, very long way to go.  I think I'll need 17 or 18 to make it long enough.  At about a half an hour per unit... I'll be stitching an awful long time.

I mentioned there being a possible problem.  After I stitched the fourth triangle, stretching the curve out revealed this:


The triangles don't have enough room to sit right next to each other, so when they're stretched out, they zigzag.  Steve thinks this could be a bad thing, but I'm hopeful that the zigzag can be used as a design element.  I'm trying to decide if I want to keep stitching triangles and hope that the zigzag occurs naturally when I join the ends or if I want to stitch the triangles together in a way to force the zigzag.  I think I can do it, but I'm not sure how how well it would work.  Decisions, decisions.  No matter what I do, if I have to stitch the zigzag in place I'll have to go back and add that to the triangles already made, so I think I'll keep going and keep evaluating.

No comments:

Post a Comment