Friday, January 17, 2014

Tangent "review": Another way to use knitting needles

I have bad news, bad news, bad news, and good news (because there always should be some good news).

The first bad news is that I've been too busy working on the tutorial for Quadrille (if you missed that, check it out here) and the brick stitch experimenting (first post, second post, third post), and I don't have a proper review for you.  The bracelet part of the tutorial is finished.  All I have left to do is to make earrings and write the instructions for how to do that, which shouldn't take long.

The second piece of bad news is that I have zero registrations for tomorrow's Quadrille class, so it has been canceled.  If you were busy or thinking the weather was too crappy, you may have another shot at it in March or April.  I'll let you know.

The third piece of bad news is that I'm still not done with my scarf.  I have been knitting away at it, but it's just not long enough.  I'd like to be able to wrap it around my neck and still have a fair amount dangling.  Steve looked at it last night and said, "You're getting there!  Just about a foot to go!"  I almost gave him a foot.  I'll let you imagine where.

Now for the good news!  Steve brought home a present for me yesterday - a Doctor Who micro-figure.  There was one figure in the package, and you don't know what you get until you open it.  There are a few different series, and there are ten different possibilities in the one that Steve chose from.  There's the Eleventh Doctor, two different Amys, Rory, River, a Silence, a Dalek, a Cyberman, a Roman Auton, and a Vampire.  Click here if you'd like to see what they look like.  They're only about 2" high, and there is some assembly required, which I take to mean that you could make the Doctor wear the vampire's skirt if you wanted.

When I opened the package, I was a little disappointed to see it was the vampire.  She's from the fifth season "The Vampires of Venice" episode, which I don't really remember.  We'll have to watch it again.






The figure looks like it's compatible with Legos, so that opens up a whole world of possibilities.  Take her off the "DW", Tardis-looking stand and make her menace the Doctor or some other Lego figures on a Doctor Who "playset" or other Lego construction.  She has moving parts, so much menacing can be accomplished.


At this point you're probably wondering what this has to do with knitting needles.  Well, once I realized that her arms and hands move, I discovered that a size 2 Double Pointed Needle fits perfectly in her oddly shaped clutches, and now she's holding a quarterstaff.


Now I can't wait to get more of these figures.  I have five size 2 DPNs, so I can stage a mighty battle... until I need them to make socks.

I'm sure you've noticed by now that I'm feeling a little loopy.  I blame lack of sleep, lack of heat, and lots of work.  Now that I can relax on the Quadrille instructions, I'm going to go knit.

No comments:

Post a Comment