Monday, April 28, 2014

Mini poker chip earrings

Last August, Steve and I went to an Adam Ant concert at the Turner Hall Ballroom in Milwaukee.  We wanted to get a souvenir, but we didn't want to spend a lot of money, nor did we need another T-shirt.  The guitar picks were well within our price range, so we bought two so I could make earrings.

Since they're solid plastic, the way to make earrings out of them is to drill holes in them.  I've been putting that off because I was nervous that I was going to crack the picks.  I was going to get some plain picks so I could practice, but I never got around to doing that.

Today I remembered that I had some mini poker chips, which should be a good test.  I don't know where these came from, but it was probably my mother's basement.  That's where I've found all sorts of neat things like mini Rummikub tiles, old wooden checkers, and antique dominoes.

I used Steve's pin vise (a very small hand-held drill) with a small drill bit to make the holes, then I used the Groovy Looping pliers I've talked about (my review can be found here) to hang the chips from earring wires.  To add a little bling, I added a 6mm blue crystal and a 4mm red crystal to each earring to reflect the other poker chip colors.

If you'd like to see exactly how to do it, I made a video for you!  This was done in one take, and I have to warn you that my hands are a little big sometimes.  They also look dry.  I should use some lotion.


For those of you who will be skipping the video, here's a picture of the earrings:


Tomorrow I'll show you the Adam Ant guitar pick earrings.

No comments:

Post a Comment