Tuesday, April 6, 2010

It was a Cricutastic day!

It all started one morning last Fall.  I had stayed at my Mom's for the night and didn't go into work right away because of an inspection on my house in Waukegan, Illinois.  We went out for breakfast at the Sunset House, and I saw a card on their bulletin board that I instantly recognized as being created with the Cricut - the font was distinctively "George", the font that comes with most Cricut machines.

I looked inside and found that it was created by Bertha.  I posted about it on the Cricut messageboard (http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=5610419&mpage=1&key=&#5610419) to give Bertha a nod and see if she was on the board.  Well, she didn't respond, but Sylvia did!  She posted that her mother grew up in Waukegan, and we started chatting.... first on the message board, then in e-mail, then on Facebook.

Her husband's parents live near Portage, Wisconsin, which is about an hour and a half away, so when Sylvia and Dave planned a visit to see the Brewers and the Rockies play, she was also able to come and visit!



It was such a LOVELY day!  We chatted like we've known each other our whole lives. And, most importantly, she was able to pet all four cats!!  This was quite an achievement.  Katy usually runs right under the bed, but she was strangely compelled keep looking at Sylvia.  She didn't come near, but when she was on the bed, she did not protest us petting her.  And Simoon, our other mostly-anti-social cat actually came up to Sylvia!  Twice!


We had a nice lunch out at a new Italian place nearby, and then we "got to work" while we chatted.  I played with her Heritage cartridge (this is one that I've wanted and she brought it so I could make a few cuts and look at the book), and she played with my Gypsy (it's a portable design tool for the Cricut. She thought she wanted one before, but now she definitely does... Sorry, Dave!).


It's hard to spontaneously come up with something to cut, but with a train buff in the house and with a tree I fell in love with on the cartridge, here's what I cut:


The tree on the right is a slightly larger shadow of the tree on the left.  I forgot I still had the shadow button on.  I've gotten spoiled by using the Gypsy and nearly forgot how to manually make a cut!

Unfortunately, she had to go around 4:00... but before she did, we were able to take a picture together (my Cricut station is the perfect height for a camera with a timer!):


There were many hugs, lots of laughter, serious conversations about all kinds of things, good food, and CRAFTING!!!  It was a perfect "first play date", and I'm so glad she was able to come!


{Oh - in case you haven't read the post on the Cricut message board... I actually found Bertha at a craft fair in Waukegan last December.  She was selling cards with the characteristic George font.  I nearly screamed with excitement and told her the whole story!  She was tickled pink!}

2 comments:

  1. I had so much fun! Thank you for the wonderful time! I wish we did not live so far apart! You know I will visit the next time I am in Wisco! And I will bring more stuff so we can really sit down and craft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to it! And hopefully we'll be able to make it to Colorado before too long.

    ReplyDelete