Tuesday, May 18, 2010

New crocheted sweater

A number of years ago I bought some beautiful variegated yarn on eBay, thinking that I'd make a sweater with it.  As my interest in crochet died down, the yarn sat unused.  When I culled my stash before moving to Milwaukee, I couldn't part with it.  See for yourself - it has some beautiful colors:


The brand is Donna and has the store (The Yarn Outlet - Stores in New England) printed on the label.  The color is listed as lavender, but it's way too dark to be considered lavender.  It's 60% cotton and 40% Solara Acrylic, for those who like to know that kind of thing.

A few months ago I finally started work on the sweater.  I used a pattern from the Cool Summer Sweaters book by Leisure Arts.  If you follow the link, the cover sweater is the one I wanted to do, but the variegation in the yarn made the intricacy of the pattern impossible to see.  I am going to get a solid color when I'm ready to make that sweater.  I ended up making the one in the upper right of the cover, "Cool White Cotton".

I had some problems with the yarn splitting as I worked because of the different strands, but it's nowhere near as difficult as Lion Brand's Homespun.  Mom and I have sworn off that yarn.  It's so nice when it's worked up, but you have to get there first, and let me tell you... it's quite a battle!

Here's me and my new sweater:


In retrospect, I would have made the body of the sweater and the sleeves longer during the initial crocheting.  I was anxious that I wouldn't have enough yarn, so I wanted to finish the sweater then add to the length.  At the bottom of the sweater I added a number of double crochet rows until I practically ran out of yarn.  I don't really like the way that it looks - you can't see in the picture because of my strategically placed arms, but it flares out some at the bottom and still isn't as long as I would like it to be.

For the sleeves, I added 5 rows of single crochet during finishing.  It's better, but I still would like them a bit longer.  That may just be my flabby-arm paranoia talking, though.

All in all, it's a comfortable sweater, and I look forward to years of wearing it.

2 comments:

  1. I have never learned to knit or crochet, and can't imagine how hard it must be. I think the sweater is beautiful!
    Sewsoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat sweater. You're way beyond me. I've never tried to crochet anything but straight things like scarves or afghans. I did do some hats, though, and they aren't straight. Never would attempt to do a sweater. You know how many years that would take me. Like the leg warmers I started knitting for you when you where like 4 or 5 and I never finished. I've got the trophy of most unfinished projects. Remember the Christmas table cloth I bought when you where in college? Never finished it and now noone has a table that it would fit on. Oh well. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete