Sunday, August 12, 2012

Red and black, part 2

A few weeks ago I posted my red and black right angle weave bracelet (click here if you missed it).  Since then I made a right angle weave (RAW) bracelet for a cousin to give as a gift using Swarovski Crystal Silver Night bicones:


She asked if I could make earrings to match, so I tried out something I had been thinking about.  I made one RAW set and dangled it from lines of seed beads:


I was hoping for a more dramatic V, but I think they look good.  I thought about having them dangle longer, but I didn't know who they were for and didn't want to make them overly dramatic.

This weekend I made similar earrings and a necklace with the red saucers & black peanuts.

Here's the bracelet again to refresh your memory:


And here are the earrings I came up with:


I wanted a V instead of a U, but I think they look good.

And here's the necklace:


I didn't have too many saucers left, so I had to do my estimating and adjusting from a few days ago (part 1, part 2) to see what I could come up with.  I'm very happy how it turned out, but I had to remake most of the strand part.  I thought it was going to be around 17", but when I added the second strands, things shortened up a little.  16" seemed too short, and grumbling (okay, swearing) I decided it had to be longer, which meant taking a lot of it apart.  I had gone through each strand twice, so it was quite a mess getting them taken out.  Scissors flew, beads tumbled, and bits of threads had to be carefully picked out.

As I was doing it, I had little piles of beads counted out for each strand, and... I dropped my beading triangle (that scoops up the beads, for all you non-beader types) right in the middle, scattering beads everywhere.  There was more swearing grumbling.  I gave up on my piles and just counted the beads out for each strand as I was stitching it.  I added 15 extra peanuts for the last sections, and the necklace is now around 18" long.  It even fits me (miracle of miracles).

Since I have other colors of these saucer beads, I took copious notes on what I did for the necklace so I don't have to try to figure it out again.  I don't have as many saucers in some of the strands, so I'll have to make some adjustments, of course.

How many saucer beads do I have left over?  One.  Again with the one.  I must have lost a bead somewhere, because my inventory program showed I had one more than I actually had.  I don't recall, but beads are constantly hitting the floor in here.

Funny story - Steve and I went to the Wisconsin State Fair today with our good friends Cindy (she who always comes to the rescue) and her husband Russ.  We were walking through the Expo Center where everyone's trying to sell everything you've ever thought of and more.  Did you know there are devices that will turn practically anything into a speaker?  I didn't.  When I need speakers, I use speakers, not a styrofoam cooler.  Anyway.  One of the gadgets was the Mr. Sticky lint roller.  She must have known I was a cat person, as she pointed right to me and said, "Do you have cats?"  I looked down at my clothes for the tell-tale cat hair but didn't find any (for once).  She goes through her spiel about Mr. Sticky getting up cat hair, lint, spices, even cat litter.  She kept calling the lint roller "him".  It was quite disturbing.

I'm getting to the funny part - bear with me.  We finally extricate ourselves and start walking again, Cindy and I up front and the boys behind us.  I hear Russ say, "You know what that would be good for?  Beads."  Then they started discussing the pros and cons.  Steve said, "You have to rinse it.  All the beads would go down the drain."  I'm sure given enough time they would have come up with a solution - something with a strainer and pantyhose or some such.  I guess Cindy and I (and our friends) drop too many beads.  I know Steve frequently picks up something off of the floor (it doesn't matter which floor - practically any room in this house is a good candidate) and hands it to me.  "Here's another bead.  That doesn't look familiar.  Is it Michele's?"  Russ must do the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment