Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The mind is a funny thing

Have you ever heard of the term "earworm"?  Basically, it's a song that's stuck in your head.  If you have time and the inclination, you can read about it here on Wikipedia.

Usually for me it's a song I've heard recently or was thinking about.  Every once in a while, though, a song pops into my head out of nowhere.

Today's earworm is "Guns in the Sky" by INXS.  I do not remember the last time I heard it, but now I have the words "Guns in the Sky" and a few other words or notes from the song looping through my brain.  I don't remember the last time I heard this song.  Why should it just pop into my head?  I've not thought about guns, or the sky, or INXS or anything related to this song at all today or yesterday or....

So I looked in my iTunes.  The last time it was played was November 30, 2011, at 3:10 pm.  So that means that song has been ruminating in the depths of my mind for almost 8 months?

What else is stuck in there?  I could be rich by now if all the stuff that's kicking around in my head would come out and be useful!

I have now listened the song fully and am listening to something else, hoping that this will drive the madness out.

And now that I have given you the earworm (if not of this song, then of another one that you thought of when you read the word "earworm"), let's change the subject.

No, today's post will not be more about my office.  I'd have to do something first, and I haven't gotten much accomplished past what I last posted. 

Last night's Loose Bead Society program was wonderful!  Our presenter, Lisa Binkley, explained how she creates quilts that use beads as embellishments and in focal components.  Check out the galleries on her blog to see the amazing, beautiful pieces she has created.  And if you can, take a class with her.  She's down to earth, humble, and so creative!

I've been thinking about starting bead embroidery and have even bought some of the interfacing to stitch on.  After last night's presentation, I really want to try it now.  There's no way I can be as intricate as Lisa, but I know I'll come to it on my terms, and it will end up being my style.

My head was buzzing with ideas and swirls and shapes when I trying to sleep.  I recently got a few Luna Soft cabochons - one for a pendant and two for earrings - and last night I was trying to decide if I wanted to try bead embroidery with these cabs.

A shape popped up in my head for the smaller cabs (about 3/4" in diameter), and I got up to sketch something out:






It's going to be a bit larger than I usually wear for earrings, but if I can make it work, I think it'll be very pretty.  The trick will be to do two that are nearly identical.  The camera really doesn't do justice to these cabs.  They catch the light and really glow.

As for the earworm, "Still Loving You" from the Scorpions is on now.  That ought to drive "Guns in the Sky" out of my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment