Tuesday, November 12, 2013

2013 LBS Challenge - Part 4 - Finishing

This is the fourth and final installment of my 2013 LBS Challenge bracelet, "My Milwaukee: A Triptych".  If you missed the previous parts, you can catch up here:  Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

For a quick refresher, here's the finished bracelet:

At the end of part 3, all of the bead embroidery on the bracelet was complete.  The backing needed to be stitched on, and all of the figures needed to be glued on.

First, though, I needed to finish the movie screen.  Steve had made me a screen out of styrene and painted the edges a dark gray:

I didn't take process shots of how to make the screen because, frankly, I was in a hurry and feeling a little frantic, since the piece was due that evening.  :)  What I did, though, was to take the Fish Fry and a Flick logo and print it small enough to fit in the screen.  I adhered it using scrapbooking adhesive (Mono, to be exact), and I brushed two coats of sealant over it.  You can see the final result here:

I'd like to say that a logo, book cover, or any copyrighted material should never be reproduced and used in a project to be sold.  Since I'm never going to sell this bracelet, I figured it was okay to use the logo.

After I set aside the screen to dry, I put the Ultrasuede backing on using my Mono adhesive again (next time I'll use E-6000):

I trimmed the backing to match the front, and I started stitching the three layers (Ultrasuede, interfacing, and Ultrasuede) together:

I believe this is a whip stitch.  I put some beads on and stitched from back to front, close enough that the beads were right next to the previous stitch's beads.  I think of it as a "roll stitch", but after doing some research, it appears to be a whip stitch.  Anyway, I like the look it gives to the piece, and it hides the interfacing very well.  Also, if you mess up like I did and trim a little too much from one side, you can hide your mistake by adding more beads.  No one will notice!  (Hopefully)

Once I got around to the left edge, I added the other halves of the snaps.  I figured it was better to get the hard stuff out of the way right away so I'd be less frantic later.  I was going to stitch the snaps only on the Ultrasuede backing (which would have been VERY easy), but Steve thought they would be more sturdy if I stitched through all layers.  He was right (of course).  Even though I won't be wearing the bracelet much it would be better if it was as sturdy as possible.  It was a bit difficult to do it without the thread showing on the front, but I think I succeeded.

Before continuing on with the rest of the edging, I tested the snaps to make sure they were in the right place:

Whew!  It fits!  You can see that one of the waves popped up again, and when I was done with that section of the edging, I glued it back down.

Here are a few more looks at the snaps and the edging-in-process:

One thing I really wanted to do was to sign the piece, but I couldn't because that would tip folks off during the Challenge voting that it was mine, and the pieces were all supposed to be anonymous.  I did the next best thing - I sewed this in between the layers:

So when this bracelet is found 500 years from now and someone super-X-rays it (or if it falls apart), they will know who made it, when it was made, and what it was called.  Yes, I like to dream big.  :)

Here's the bracelet after the edging was finished but before the figures and screen were glued on:

Here's the "movie-goer" section in process:

And here's the guy in the rowboat:

This figure was originally standing, but Steve cut the poor guy's legs off and glued them back on in such a way that he could sit down.  I think it looks really good!

Here's the whole middle section again:

I did have some problems with the screen and the standing guys staying standing, but that's because I didn't give the piece enough time to dry before moving it and because I used the wrong glue.  Fortunately I was able to glue them back on before the challenge voting, and I think they're still where they're supposed to be.  Once I get the piece home (after the Jewelry at the Domes show this weekend), I'll repair anything that's wobbly and let it sit in an acrylic case so it's protected.

Here's one final look at the other sections and with me wearing it:

It's been an absolute pleasure sharing my process with you.  I hope you've enjoyed it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment