Friday, October 11, 2013

A different sort of review...

Five years ago today, I received this text:


About an hour and a half later, this happened:


Then this:

He's such a softie!

Then this:
I guess I am, too.  I yanked that hankie right out of his hand!

Then this:

She now pronounces us man and wife!

We are now...


Looking back over the last 5 years, an awful lot has happened, and I can say honestly that Steve has been supportive, loving, patient, and always able to make me laugh:


I had a very hard time when I was working at my last job.  I've mentioned it a number of times here, and many of you know even more than I've posted.  Every day (every hour!) was a struggle, and I received many texts like this one:


It really helped that he understood what I was going through and expressed his sympathy for me every day (sometimes multiple times a day).

When we decided I would quit, he supported me in my job search and even supported me when it seemed I couldn't find a job I was qualified for and wanted to do (not to mention the anxiety and onset of Fibromyalgia and nightmares...).  While I now have my own business, it doesn't make a lot of money, and he supports me financially as well as emotionally.  He also supports me physically, as I can't lug things around very well anymore.  He edits my jewelry design tutorials and helps me out at shows:


I'm really not sure what Steve gets out of the marriage except companionship, because it seems most of the time I'm more trouble than not, but Steve gets upset when I say that.  He says he likes feeling needed.  I definitely need him, so that must be what he gets out of it.  :)

Isn't he the sweetest?

As in any marriage, we've had lots of ups and downs.  Mom has had cancer a few times (and is still battling it) plus other health problems.  My Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis has been difficult to cope with.  We've had financial problems (and help from our parents, thank goodness!).  My cat, Simoon, passed away.  We found Frisco.  Steve's cat, Katy, passed away.  We've gone to museums, shows, the State Fair, the Renaissance Faire, weddings, funerals, and countless movies.  We've taken short vacations to Chicago and Madison. We've entertained for holidays and game nights.  We started growing our own vegetables.  We've had a few surgeries, and I've had a LOT of dental work.

In short, it's been a very full five years.  While we don't go out to the State Fair and other things like that as much anymore, we still make it a point to spend lots of time together and to have fun, even if it's sitting on the couch making fun of a really bad movie, Mystery Science Theater style.

No matter what happens, I can count on a lot of things:

  • Lunchtime texts and chats on Facebook:

From 2009


From today

  • Sushiversaries on September 15th (the anniversary of our first date when we had sushi for lunch, wandered around a mall, and had dinner at Lone Star Steakhouse & Saloon):

  • Holidays:
Thanksgiving 2010
  • Snow:

  • Cats:
Our original four

  • Laughs:

That's my teddy bear, Ogden, wearing a pair of my pajama pants

And...

  • Kissing!



Here we are through the years:

Our first anniversary we took a short vacation (2 nights) to Chicago.  The below picture is us atop the Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower):


On our second anniversary we went to the Cheesecake Factory:


We ordered cheesecake (because you have to if you go there, you know), and this is what we got:

How cute!

On our third anniversary we went to Carrabba's Italian Grill, which is where I got that picture of Steve ravioli-smiling above.  Here we are with him being a little more serious:

I think I like my hair better like that, I think.

Our fourth anniversary is when we went to Madison.  We only spent one night, but we packed both days full of antiquing, and we saw "Hello Dolly!" at the Fireside Theater.  We stayed the night at Sweet Autumn Inn, and the breakfast was to die for.  I can't wait until we can afford to go back.

Oh - we also went to Ella's Deli and and rode their carousel:

I won't tell you how Steve hurt himself getting onto his horse.

Tonight we're going to Karl Ratzsch's German restaurant in downtown Milwaukee.  We have a Groupon, because that's how we do things now.  So romantic.  :)

Here's to many, many more years together and a lot more of this:














5 comments:

  1. You didn't tell me you were going to make me tear up at work. Now I have to hide in my office and listen to Car Talk until I'm presentable. Happy anniversary, my love! May we have many more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I hate the commenting system on Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve and Tracy -- Happy Anniversary to the cutest couple in the world. Enjoy your dinner tonight :)
    xo -- Abby (Xuron Abby)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is so very sweet, Traci! Congrats to you and Steve on 5 pretty wonderful years! I wish you many more and am glad to know you! Have a sweet anniversary eve! sending love, kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very beautiful tribute, Traci. I hope you and Steve had a very special day.
    Best Wishes, Sewsoon

    ReplyDelete