Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Cats and kits (Kits rant #1)

Happy Tuesday!

Before I get into things, I'd like to introduce you to two cats who need a home: Trixie and Twilight:

  

My friend Barbara's grandson is very young and very allergic to them.  Barbara and her daughter have been trying to find homes for the kitties but have been unsuccessful. The cats are about five years old and sisters, so they really should be placed in the same home. Barbara is in Indiana, but she is willing to bring the cats anywhere or meet someone somewhere to hand them over. This is very important. They are sweet cats who love people. If you can help, please contact me at traci@creative-pursuits.biz so I can get you in touch with Barbara.  Thanks!


Blog update:


After much consideration, I have decided to monetize my blog.  This means I'll have ads on it, but I will do my best to keep them unobtrusive.  Right now there will be one over on the right side under the "my business" section as well as a link to my friend Carol's Etsy site for handmade bags for e-readers, tablets, cell phones, and more (if you order from her, please tell her I sent you!).  I might add more, but I really don't want them to be annoying.

Why am I doing this?

I'll lie here for only 20 seconds.  Better hurry!


When I told my mother about bringing Frisco into the house from the bushes, one of her concerns was how we would pay for a new cat.  While the kitten itself was free, the vet visits would not be.  I said, "I'll figure it out!"

Well, this is me figuring it out.  Yeah, I know one ad on a small blog won't amount to much, but it's a start.  So, please, if you see an ad for something you might be interested in, please click it.  I'm hopeful that after a few more posts the ad logic will start picking relevant products.  After today's post, though, we might see pet food ads.  That wouldn't be so bad - everyone in the house is eating the kitten's food (now that he's no longer in isolation), so I'd like to see some good prices on Purina Kitten Chow.



One more update:

Friday is going to be review day!  I have had success with blogging every Tuesday (+/- a day), so I'm going to try writing on Fridays, too.  There are tools and books that I have been planning on reviewing, and if I run out of ideas then I'll "review" different types of beads and yarns.  We'll see how this works.  If there's anything you'd like me to review, please feel free to e-mail me at traci@creative-pursuits.biz and ask!  Each review will be labeled as such, so if you ever want to review my reviews, scroll down to the "labels" section and click on the appropriate review label: "review - tool", "review - book", etc.



Now for today's actual topic:

Making kits for designs!

I'd like to use the Tuesday blog spot for writing about things I've been working on, but my most recent project is in transit and will be worn at at wedding on August 3rd, so I won't be able to blog about it until after she sends me pictures.  You can get a hint of it in Frisco's picture, above.  I also had grandiose plans for making something new (to me, anyway), but that has not happened yet, so that will also have to wait.

Instead I've been working out kit colorways for two of my designs that use pretty much the same beads:

It's Got Legs

Cobblestone Path

"Cobblestone Path" is a wider version of "It's Got Legs" (Steve came up with that name - isn't it cute?).

With the Milwaukee Bead Show coming up in October (not to mention Bead&Button Show class submissions and next year's Madison Bead Show), I figured I should start gathering supplies for kits, but I have been finding it very difficult to come up with kit colorways and all the pieces that go into them.

The colors in the "Cobblestone Path" picture were chosen so there would be a high contrast for the tutorial.  I take pictures of each step, and I wanted the beads to be easily distinguishable.  I had a plan, too - each color is a different part of the "path".  When I was done, though, I found I liked the combination a lot more than I thought I would.  I had it out at Bead&Button Show Meet the Teachers reception, and many others liked it, too!  So that was the first colorway I decided I wanted to "kit up".

At the Bead&Button Show marketplace, I picked up some pieces for a black/silver set, and in looking at colors online, I decided on (big surprise coming up:) monochromatic purple (it will look different from the "It's Got Legs" picture here).  Steve suggested one with red, orange, and yellow for a sort of flame look.  I'd like to do more, but four colorways are enough to juggle.

Now on to ordering!  Since my business is small, I can't afford to order wholesale, so that's one challenge.  I'd like to go to one vendor and buy everything I need for all four of the colorways at very good prices so my kit prices don't go very high, but I can't afford the large minimum ordering amount that I'd need to order wholesale, so I've had to go hunting.

However, I found out today that I wouldn't be able to get the supplies at just one place.  At least, not one that I could find or have access to.  I will be ordering from... wait for it... five online stores to get everything I need.  I couldn't believe it!  This one has some of the beads at great prices but bad prices of other things with yet other things not available.

I guess this isn't as much of a blog post as it is a rant.  :)  Fortunately once I place the orders I'll have enough for at least a few kits of both designs plus some extras for something else I have in mind.  In the meantime, though, my eyes have crossed, and I have quite the headache.

So the next time you see a kit for sale, you have a bit of an idea of all that goes into putting it together!  Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment